This article focuses on helping candidates prepare in the best way for the ongoing FIRS recruitment program. A general guide to preparation is based on the article “FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE ADVERTISEMENT FOR CAREER OPPORTUNITIES)” which was published by FIRS on its website. Important requirements are highlighted from this article and attempts are made to analyze those requirements and provide necessary guidance, advice and materials to assist applicants in the best way to achieving success in the recruitment process. Links for downloadable materials and past questions are provided. Readers can also leave their emails to have these materials sent directly to their inbox. Text in Italics were copied verbatim from the FIRS Article earlier referenced.
NOTE: You can leave your emails for the materials by:
- By sending your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Filling out your email on the left hand side of the webpage nigeriaheartbeat.com and click subscribe.
- By leaving your email in the comment section of this post.
The Federal Inland Revenue Service as part of its consolidation strategies, wish to engage the services of early starters with integrity, drive and desire to win professionally, to strengthen its workforce.
Applicants are to note that regardless of the position advertised, the following are minimum general requirements for all applicants:
Minimum Qualifications/skills base
- A Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Accounting, Law, Economics, Banking & Finance, Engineering, Geology, Statistics, Computer Science or other relevant discipline in the quantitative field.
- A Higher National Diploma in Accounting, Economics, Banking & Finance, Engineering, Geology, Statistics, Computer Science or other relevant discipline in the quantitative field.
These mean you have to revise basic things about these fields, you can ‘dust’ your university materials and just do general revisions especially in these fields: Accounting, Law, Economics, Banking & Finance, Statistics, Computer Science.
- Computer literacy and conversancy with Microsoft office, Web Applications and the use of relevant applications for efficient delivery of service.
This is very important as there is a high probability that a lot of questions may likely come from these field bearing in mind that about 99% of FIRS activities are computer based.
You can leave your email to get our material on “Basic Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Web Applications and General Computer applications and Hardware proficiency”
- Strong leadership and management skills
This means you should have a good leadership and management skills.
You can leave your email to get the material on “Improving Your Leadership and Management Skills”
- Strong team spirit and ability to effectively delegate
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
You can leave your email to get the material on “Improving Your Interpersonal and Communication Skills”
- Strong Analytical skills
You can leave your email to get the material on “Basic Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis”
- Knowledge of the Nigerian Tax Laws and appreciation of their application and understanding of the regulatory framework within which the FIRS operates;
You can leave your email to get the material on “The Nigerian Tax Laws and Its Application and Understanding of the regulatory Framework within which the FIRS Operates”
- Knowledge of business/industry environment within which taxpayers operate
You can leave your email to get the material on “Basics of the Nigerian Business/Industry Environment for Operations of Tax Payers”
- Ability to work as a regulator with the courage to ensure full compliance with laws.
You can leave your email to get the material on “Working as a Nigerian Regulator in Compliance with Laws”
Minimum Character attributes
- Be of good character and must not have been found guilty of any criminal offence or should not have been indicted at or dismissed from their places of work or other environment
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
Minimum Past Performance level
- Demonstrated ability to determine conformity and non- conformity to set standards in processes and procedures AND demonstrated courage and ability to eliminate, rectify or close determined non-conformity to standard character attributes.
- Demonstrated courage in ensuring change within the organization he or she has worked through the effective discharge of his or her responsibility in spite of resistance to change efforts
- Demonstrable impactful presence in the work place as a direct result of the individual’s ability to effect positive and sustainable change in his/her environment
Applicants are also to note that regardless of the position advertised, any of the following will be an added advantage:-
(i) Master’s degree in related discipline
(ii) Relevant and recognized professional certification and qualification
Other General Requirement(s):
In addition all Applicants must:-
The successful candidate should be highly organized, numerate and possess strong interpersonal skills to represent the team externally and internally. The individual should ideally have commercial-business knowledge with ability to interpret business numbers and strategies of profit derivation in tax accounting. The position requires someone who is a self-starter and requires little supervision or motivation to meet challenging targets and deadlines. Current membership of a relevant professional institution is essential.
You can leave your email to get the material on
- Improving work organization, strong interpersonal skills.
- Basics of Commercial-business (A focus on Interpreting Business Numbers and Strategies of Profit Derivation in Tax Accounting).
Hands-on experience at a supervisory level, and be relevant in the management and supervision of business accounting strategies in taxation in large scale public/private sector organization:-
Demonstrated experience with the following:
- Conversant with Nigerian Tax principles, laws and applications
- Prioritization of task and identification of needed resources to conceptualize ideas into actionable steps.
- Professional skill/courage in enforcement of tax laws application
- Analyzing large/medium/micro & small scale business accounts
- Virtualizing possible gaps in business transactions
- Interpretation of business accounts
You can leave you email to get the material on
- Applications of the Nigerian Tax Principles and Laws
- A Guide to Prioritization of Task and Identification of needed resources to Conceptualize Ideas Into Accountable Steps
- Application of Professional Skill/courage in Enforcement of Nigerian Tax Laws
- Analyzing Large/Medium/Micro & Small Scale Business Accounts
- Good knowledge of taxation principles and laws
- Experience in applications of tax laws and enforcement of tax laws
- Proven track record of delivering set targets
- People Management and development
You can leave your email to get the material on
- Taxation Principles and Laws in Nigeria
- Applications of Tax laws and Enforcement of Tax Laws In Nigeria
- General Introduction to Human Resource (A focus on People Management and Development)
- Nigerian Financial Regulation
According to Categories
Minimum six (6) years relevant experience in a Government, international organization or private firm in a similar role.
This means you should at least have an idea of the Nigerian Public Service RULES
You can leave your email to get the material on “the Nigerian Public Service RULES”
Membership in any of the following Accountancy bodies or their recognized equivalents with prove of certificate(s):
(i) Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN)
(ii) Association of Certificate and Corporate Accountants (ACCA)
(iii) Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountants (CIPFA)
(iv) Institute of Cost and Management Accountants (ICMA) U.K
(v) Society of Incorporated Accountants and Auditors (SIAA)
(vi) Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN)
(vii) Institute of Chartered Accountant of England /Wales (ACA)
(viii) Chartered Public Accountants, CPA
This means you should at least have an idea of the basics of these bodies.
You can leave your email to get the materials on “Basics of Nigerian Accounting Bodies”